Overall: 7 1/2 x 5 3/4 x 8 3/8 in. ( 19 x 14.6 x 21.3 cm )
Base: 5 3/4 in. ( 14.6 cm )
Part: 4 1/2 in. (11.4 cm)
Wrought silver tankard; circular body with straight sides tapered from applied, molded, baseband to an applied, molded, flared lip; stepped, flat cover with a serrated an engraved flange at the front and back; scrolled thumbpiece and molded hinge-plate with a broad molded drop over smaller beaded drops; double-scroll handle with a rat-tail terminal; engraved foliate scroll cartouche on the front center of the body with the initials, "LeSFR" superimposed over each other; maker's marks stamped on the base.
Gift of the Pintard Fellows
Maker's mark (stamped): D C F / N:YORK
Description: Maker's mark "DCF" and "N:YORK" stamped one time each in relief on bottom of either side of center punch
Inscription (engraved): LeSFR
Possibly owned by Jonathan Fish (1728-1779), who married Elizabeth Sackett (1729-1778); to their son Nicholas Fish (1758-1833), who married Elizabeth Stuyvesant (1775-1854); to their son Hamilton Fish (1808-1893), who married Julia Ursin Niemcewiez Kean (1816-1887); to their daughter Susan LeRoy Fish (1844-1909), who married William Evans Rogers (1846-1913); to their daughter Julia Fish Rogers (1868-1938), who married Kenneth Frazier (1867-1949); to her grandson Rev. Michael Hunt Murray (b. 1922); to S. J. Shrubsole, New York City; purchased from Shrubsole by N-YHS, 1976.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.