Overall: 8 1/4 x 5 5/8 x 7 7/8 in. ( 21 x 14.3 x 20 cm )
Silver Weight: 34 oz (troy) 18 dwt (1086 g)
Inscription: engraved on the lid: cipher "R R L" decorated with foliate tendrils
Maker's marks: on base, stamped four times, "DV" in rectangular surround around center punch.
Note: marks unusual for Van Voorhis, require additional research
Wrought silver tankard; circular body with straight sides tapered from applied, molded, baseband with a beaded band around the bottom; applied, molded, flared lip; flat lid with a slight flange at the front and a beaded edge; lid engraved, "R R L" in foliate bright-cut script; applied cut work thumbpiece with a heart in the center and molded hinge-plate with a broad molded drop over smaller teardrop drop; scroll handle with an oval disk terminal; engraved shield with the arms of the Lenox family suspended from a bow-knot and floral garlands; Lenox arms divided into four quarters, first and fourth quarters divided by St. Andrew's crosses with four roses between, second and third, three salmon hauriant with rings through their noses; shield above a banner with Lenox family motto, "AUCTOR * PRETIOSA * FACIT"; maker's mark stamped four times on the base.
Hofer, Margaret K. "Seventeenth-and eighteenth-century family silver." The Magazine Antiques 167 (2005): 156-161.
Bequest of Waldron Phoenix Belknap Jr.
Robert (1759-1839) and Rachel Carmer Lenox (1763-1843); descent uncertain; to Robert Ensko Inc., New York City; purchased from Ensko in 1946 by Waldron Phoenix Belknap, Jr. (1899-1949), the donor.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.