Teakettle and stand

Teakettle and stand
Teakettle and stand
Title
Teakettle and stand
Date 
1755/56
Medium 
Silver, rattan
Dimensions 
Overall: 14 1/2 x 10 1/8 x 7 1/4 in. (36.8 x 25.7 x 18.4 cm) Silver Weight: 65 oz (troy) 6 dwt (2031 g)
Description 
Wrought silver George II teakettle-on-stand; inverted pear-shaped body on a plain, applied footring, which fits inside the stand; around upper body is heavily repoussé chased foliate scroll design; round, domed cover, hinged at one side with repoussé chased flowers around an applied, cast flower finial; scrolled bail handle; top of handle covered with woven rattan insulation, and ends are hinged at front and back; handle applied to cast and chased foliate and shell hinge-plates with a granulated ground; curved, cast spout with chased shells around juncture, lower part of spout covered with foliate scrolls, upper part in the form of bird's head with a notched lip and an acanthus and shell pendent; arms of the Harison family engraved on the front center of the body, cartouche with three eagles displayed on chief over red, surmounted by a ducal crown and a talbot's head on ermine, surrounded by foliate scrolls, with a banner below inscribed, "NEC TE QUESTURIS EXTRA" in roman letters; tripod stand with a convex shoulder chased and pierced with foliate, shell and scroll designs; vertical flange applied to the shoulder; three scroll legs applied to the base of the shoulder with acanthus leaves at the knees and cast foliate scroll feet; scroll stretchers applied between the legs and spirit lamp; pendent cast and pierced apron with flowers, scrolls and shells applied to the shoulder between each leg; inverted pear-shaped spirit lamp with a molded band around the center, convex shoulder and molded rim; base of spirit lamp engraved with a talbot's head on ermine and a ducal crown; circular lamp cover with molded rim and circular flue in the center; cover engraved with a talbot's head on ermine and a ducal crown; maker's marks stamped on the base of the kettle and stand.
Credit Line 
Gift of Mrs. Nathaniel McLean Sage
Object Number 
1974.3a-c
Marks 
stamped: on the base of the kettle and stand: "F/ G * S/ C" in an octagon, a lion passant, a crowned leopard's head in a shield and "n"conforming
Gallery Label 
During the mid-eighteenth century, London silversmiths favored inverted pear-shaped kettles such as this one, with animated scrolled legs, robust Rococo ornament, and, occasionally, a playful bird's-head spout. This kettle, one of the earliest examples of English Rococo silver in New York, was made by the short-lived partnership of Gabriel Sleath and Francis Crump. Engraved with the coat of arms and motto of the Harison family, this kettle was owned by the eminent New York lawyer Richard Harison (1747-1829), who remained loyal to the Crown during the Revolution.
Provenance 
Possible descent: George Harison (ca. 1710-1773), who married Jane Nicholls; to their son Richard Harison (1747-1829), who married (1st) Maria Jones (d. 1782); to their daughter Catharine Jones Harison (1777-1853); to her brother William H. Harison (1795-1860), who married Gertrude H. Ogden (1806-1839); to their nephew Alfred Francis de Luze (1827-1900), who married Mary C. Kortright (ca. 1830-1908); to their daughter Sarah Alice de Luze (ca. 1857-1892), who married Arthur M. Foley (ca. 1847-1895); to their daughter Lucille de Luze Foley (1889-1973); bequeathed by Foley to her cousin Charlotte Simonds Sage (1889-1981), the donor.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group