Overall: 7 1/2 x 8 3/4 x 5 in. (19.1 x 22.2 x 12.7 cm)
Silver Weight: 16 oz (troy) 4.7 dwt (505 g)
Mark: stamped on base, four times around the center punch: demi-horse or unicorn in a square
Inscription: engraved at right of handle: "J E S" in a reverse cipher
Wrought silver teapot; squat pear-shaped body on an applied reeded footring; slightly flared reeded rim with an engraved waved line below; high domed lid with a cast finial with a central knop; lid hinged onto the upper handle socket with a plain flange; straight seamed and tapered spout; handle sockets cylindrical in section and fitted with a wooden c-scroll handle; engraved on both sides, left of the handle are the Schuyler arms, a hand and a clothed arm cut off at the elbow holding a falcon with a ribbon about its neck, in a shield surrounded by foliate scrolls and surmounted by a falcon with a ribbon around its neck on an armored head; left of handle, leaf garland around a reverse cipher with the initials, "JES" and a chaplet of leaves and roses above; maker's marks on the base.
Hofer, Margaret K. "Seventeenth-and eighteenth-century family silver." The Magazine Antiques 167 (2005): 156-160.
Bequest of Major Philip Schuyler
Johannes Schuyler (1668-1747) and Elizabeth (Elsie) Staats Wendell (ca. 1658-1737); to their son Johannes Schuyler (1697-1741), who married Cornelia Van Cortlandt (1698-1762); to their son Philip Schuyler (1733-1804), who married Catherine Van Rensselaer (1734-1803); probably to their son Philip Jeremiah (1768-1835), who married (2nd) Mary Anna Sawyer (1781-1852); to their son George Lee Schuyler (1811-1890), who married Eliza Hamilton (1811-1863); to their son Philip Schuyler (1836-1906), the donor.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.