Tile

Object Number: 
INV.8787t
Date: 
1750-1770
Medium: 
Earthenware
Dimensions: 
Overall: 5 x 5 x 1/4 in. ( 12.7 x 12.7 x 0.6 cm )
Description: 
Tin-glazed earthenware tile with painted blue and white decoration; buff-colored body with bluish-white glaze; rondel with scene of the Flood with the Ark on the right and on the left people climbing a tree in a vain attempt to escape from rising water with drowning people in the foreground (Genesis ch. 7 v. 19); ox-head corner motifs; tile broken and lower right corner has been infilled and restored.
Gallery Label: 
According to a label on the box in which these tiles were found, this tile comes from the William Walton House, at 326 Pearl (formerly Queen) Street, NYC, erected in 1752 and demolished in 1881. The tile was given to the N-YHS in 1881 or 1882. At least two different sets of tiles survive; one with a purple arabesque design and another with blue and white biblical scenes and several other unrelated designs.
Credit Line: 
Gift of George W. W. Houghton
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group