Tile

Tile
Title
Tile
Date 
1725-1775
Medium 
Earthenware
Dimensions 
Overall: 5 1/8 x 5 1/8 x 1/4 in. ( 13 x 13 x 0.6 cm )
Description 
Tin-glazed earthenware tile with painted blue and white decoration; buff-colored body with bluish-white glaze; rondel with biblical scene of figure praying on hill with campground in left background; ox-head corner motifs; tile broken with restoration and infill to top and right side.
Credit Line 
Gift of George W. W. Houghton
Object Number 
INV.8787r
Gallery Label 
According to a label on the box in which these tiles were found, this tile comes from the William Walton House, at 326 Pearl (formerly Queen) Street, NYC, erected in 1752 and demolished in 1881. The tile was given to the N-YHS in 1881 or 1882. At least two different sets of tiles survive; one with a purple arabesque design and another with blue and white biblical scenes and several other unrelated designs.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group