Overall: 5 1/8 x 5 1/8 x 1/4 in. ( 13 x 13 x 0.6 cm )
Tin-glazed earthenware tile with painted blue and white decoration; buff-colored body with bluish-white glaze; rondel with biblical scene of two figures in a landscape, figure on left with halo being blessed by figure on right with bird above with rays down to figure with halo (poosibly the Annunciation); ox-head corner motifs; tile broken with restoration and infill to lower left corner and center.
Gift of George W. W. Houghton
According to a label on the box in which these tiles were found, this tile comes from the William Walton House, at 326 Pearl (formerly Queen) Street, NYC, erected in 1752 and demolished in 1881. The tile was given to the N-YHS in 1881 or 1882. At least two different sets of tiles survive; one with a purple arabesque design and another with blue and white biblical scenes and several other unrelated designs.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.