Object Number: 
Overall: 5 x 5 x 1/4 in. ( 12.7 x 12.7 x 0.6 cm )
Tin-glazed earthenware tile with painted purple decoration; buff-colored body with powdered manganese ground with arabesque pattern with foliate scrolls with two small birds in white; individual tile forms one-quarter of design; tile broken and restored with infill for missing pieces.
Gallery Label: 
According to a label on the box in which these tiles were found, this tile comes from the William Walton House, at 326 Pearl (formerly Queen) Street, NYC, erected in 1752 and demolished in 1881. The tile was given to the NYHS in 1881 or 1882. At least two different sets of tiles survive, one with a purple arabesque design and another with blue and white biblical scenes and several other unrelated designs.
Credit Line: 
Gift of George W. W. Houghton
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group