Tip dish

Object Number: 
2008.34
Date: 
ca. 1980
Medium: 
Vitrified china
Dimensions: 
Overall: 3/4 x 5 1/8 in. (1.9 x 13 cm)
Marks: 
Reverse of tip dish has manufacturer's logo, "Walker/China TM/VITRIFIED/BEDFORD,OHIO"
Inscriptions: 
"2F./ ~RESTAURANT LUTÈCE~/~NEW YORK~"; Marked: "Walker/China ™/VITRIFIED/BEDFORD, OHIO
Description: 
Small circular ceramic tip dish tinted in off-white glaze and decorated along face with blue border and inscription, "2F./~RESTAURANT LUTECE~/~NEW YORK~"
Gallery Label: 
Donated to the NYHS by docent Robert Petrie, this tip dish, ca. 1980, was from the Upper East Side restaurant, Lutece, located at 219 East 50th Street from 1961 to 2004. The tip dish was retrieved by the donor's mother, who was a frequent diner at Lutece. Initially founded as the Bedford China Company in 1923, the Walker China Company was active from ca. 1941 to 1980. From 1923 to 1941, the manufactory was known as Bailey-Walker China Company.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Robert Petrie
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group