Trade sign

Object Number: 
16 x 15 x 3 in.
Cast cement trade sign of a detailed relief profile of a Native American with a swept back feathered headdress; "Edison Cement" in banner below.
Gallery Label: 
The Edison Cement Company was incorporated on June 7, 1899 and was most noted for the dubious development of the single cast cement house. Edison held over forty-nine patents on cement processes, issued between 1900 and 1917. The company had a mill at Stewartsville, New Jersey, and sales offices in New York City, Boston and Philadelphia, as well as several southern states. Around a dozen cold, leaky, single cast cement houses created by Edison Cement still exist, mostly in New Jersey, as testimony to this company and its ill-conceived projects.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Bella C. Landauer
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group