In early 2017, our fourth floor will be transformed into a new destination for historical education and innovation. During the current renovation, objects from our permanent collection are on view throughout the Museum.
Albumen print, carte-de-visite photograph
Support the New-York Historical Society
Help us present groundbreaking exhibitions and develop educational programs about our nation's history for more than 200,000 schoolchildren annually.
This fragment was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and William L. Calver from a refuse pit at the farmhouse of the Van Oblienis family, between Broadway and Fort Washington Avenue at 176th Street. The house was built in 1704 and was part of a farm that extended between 175th and 181st Streets. By 1776 the farm had passed out of the Van Oblienis family, and the land below 178th Street was sold to Jacob Arden.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024