In December 2016, our fourth floor will be transformed into a new destination for historical education and innovation. During the current renovation, objects from our permanent collection are on view throughout the Museum.
Brown Brothers, Irving Place, showing east side from Eighteenth Street to Gramercy Park South
Support the New-York Historical Society
Help us present groundbreaking exhibitions and develop educational programs about our nation's history for more than 200,000 schoolchildren annually.
This fragment was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others at a military camp at 201st Street and Ninth Avenue in Washington Heights, Manhattan. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British soldiers who were guarding the landing area for a ferry that crossed the Harlem River from the Bronx to Manhattan.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024