The dealer from whom the donor acquired this painting stated that the subject was a builder of, and carpenter on, the ship "Mechanics Own." This vessel was a clipper ship built in 1849 at the Bishop and Simonson shipyard at 193 Lewis Street, New York.
Gift of Mrs. Charles Messer Stow
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024