Watercolor, black ink, gouache, graphite, and scraping on paper
Overall: 15 1/4 x 25 in. ( 38.7 x 63.5 cm )
Construction of the 44-gun "Constitution" was authorized by Congress in 1794. The vessel was built at Boston, Massachusetts, and was launched in October 1797. Extensive repairs were made to her noted participation in the War of 1812. She was rebuilt in 1833, 1871-77, 1906, and 1927-30, and is still afloat.
Bequest of Mr. Irving S. Olds
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024