Vegetable dish and stand

Object Number: 
Overall: 5 5/8 x 10 x 8 1/8 in. ( 14.3 x 25.4 x 20.6 cm )
engraved: on the dome of the cover: "Murray 1766./ Ledyard 1881" in script engraved: on the base: "Murray 1766 to 1881./ Lizzie V. Ledyard./ The Oaks. Cazenovia./ 1881" in script stamped: on the base of the dish: "A" crowned, a crowned cross over "J * N
Wrought silver Louis XVI vegetable dish, cover and stand; deep, bowl-shaped body with an applied, molded band around the rim; two cast foliate loop handles with the joints in the form of leaves, applied to opposite sides of the body; cylindrical handle socket with a shield shaped joint and threaded interior below one of the cast handles; hallmarks stamped on the rim and base; circular, stepped and domed cover with an applied reeded rim; cast pineapple and leaf finial screwed through the center of the dome; engraved on the dome, "Murray 1766./ Ledyard 1881" in script; circular, plate-shaped stand with a circular depression in the center, raised sides and an applied, molded rim; engraved on the base, "Murray 1766 to 1881./ Lizzie V. Ledyard./ The Oaks. Cazenovia./ 1881" in script; hallmarks stamped on the rim and base. Missing turned wooden handle.
Gallery Label: 
This vegetable dish and stand may have been owned by New York merchant John Murray (1737-1808), whose estate encompassed today's Manhattan neighborhood, Murray Hill.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Estate of Mrs. J. H. Ten Eyck Burr, through Mrs. Walter Oakman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group