View of Clermont, Seat of Mrs. Livingston, Tivoli, New York

Object Number: 
1956.12
Date: 
1796
Medium: 
Black ink over traces of graphite on paper, removed from a sketchbook
Dimensions: 
Overall: 9 x 11 1/2 in. ( 22.9 x 29.2 cm ); mat: 19 3/8 x 14 1/4 in. ( 49.2 x 36.2 cm )
Marks: 
Title located at lower center: "Clermont the Seat of Mrs Livingston" and dated at lower right: "14 September 1796"
Inscriptions: 

Watermark: "J WHATMAN / 1794"; inscribed at lower center outside image in black ink: "Clermont the Seat of Mrs. Livingston"; at lower right outside image: "14. September 1796."

Gallery Label: 

Alexander Robertson drew this view of Livingston’s estate, Clermont, when he traveled the Hudson River between Albany and New York City in 1796. The original Clermont, erected about 1730 by Lord Robert Livingston and named for the ‘clear mountain’ view of the Catskills across the Hudson River, was destroyed by the British in 1777. The home was rebuilt under the supervision of Margaret Livingston (1724-1800), the Chancellor’s mother, in 1793. At Clermont, Robert R. Livingston was free to pursue his intellectual and agricultural interests.  

Credit Line: 
James S. Cushman Bequest
Place Made: 
North America, U.S.A.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group