Museum Early Closure

The Museum will close ​early ​at 6​​pm on Fri, Jan 20​ and reopen at 3pm on Sat, Jan 21.

View of the East River from Fort Stevens, Long Island, New York

Object Number: 
Watercolor, black ink, graphite, and touches of gouache on paper laid on heavier paper (together with 1889.18)
Overall: 12 x 24 3/4 in. ( 30.5 x 62.9 cm )
inscription: lower center, ink: "Fort Stevens looking up the Sound"
Inscribed below image in brown ink: "Fort Stevens Looking up the Sound."; verso of heavier paper inscribed vertically at lower left in brown ink: "No. 16"
Gallery Label: 
In 1814, in order to provide protection for the city of New York against a British invasion by way of the Long Island Sound, fortifications were erected at Hallett's Point on the Long Island shore, on Mill Rock in the East River, and a series of entrenchments, blockhouses and barrier gates were constructed across upper Manhattan Island. The cornerstone of Fort Stevens was laid on July 14, 1814.
Credit Line: 
Deposited by the Common Council of the City of New York
The City of New York
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group