View with St. Paul's Chapel and Brick Presbyterian Church, New York City

View with St. Paul's Chapel and Brick Presbyterian Church, New York City
Title
View with St. Paul's Chapel and Brick Presbyterian Church, New York City
Date 
c. 1798
Medium 
Watercolor, black ink, and graphite on paper
Dimensions 
Overall: 8 1/2 x 11 1/2 in. ( 21.6 x 29.2 cm ) mat: 14 1/8 x 19 1/4 in. ( 35.9 x 48.9 cm )
Description 
Architecture
Credit Line 
Gift of Sophia Minton
Object Number 
1864.15
Marks 
inscription: lower center: "St. Paul's Church, & New Presbyterian Meeting, New York" inscription: lower left: "Drawn in 1798/by Robertson"
Inscriptions 
Inscribed at lower left in graphite: "Drawn in 1798 / by Robertson"; former mount reputedly inscribed at lower center: "St. Paul's Church, & New Presbyterian Meeting, New York"
Gallery Label 
At the right is St. Paul's Chapel on Broadway and Fulton Street, and in the center is the Brick Presbyterian Church which faced Beekman Street and was erected in 1766-1768 and demolished in 1856. St. Paul's Chapel, built in 1766 and with a steeple added in 1794, is the oldest church edifice standing in New York City. George Washington walked to St. Paul's Chapel to pray after his inauguration as president in 1789, at a time when this section was one "of the most pleasant walks" in the city.
Provenance 
David Grim, NYC; Sophia Minton, NYC
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group