Village of Sandy Hill, New York

Village of Sandy Hill, New York
Title
Village of Sandy Hill, New York
Date 
c.1817
Medium 
Brown ink and wash and graphite on paper
Dimensions 
Overall: 5 x 6 9/16 in. (12.7 x 16.7 cm) mat: 11 x 14 in. ( 27.9 x 35.6 cm )
Credit Line 
Abbott-Lenox Fund
Object Number 
1979.65
Marks 
Signed and inscribed at lower left outside image in brown ink: "J. Milbert. delt."; inscribed below at left: "Village of Sandy-Hill / 210. miles N. of New-York. / Albany[cut]"; at right: "Village de Sandy-Hill à / 210 milles n.d de New-York."
Inscriptions 
Signed and inscribed at lower left outside image in brown ink: "J. Milbert. delt."; inscribed below at left: "Village of Sandy-Hill / 210. miles N. of New-York. / Albany[cut]"; at right: "Village de Sandy-Hill à / 210 milles n.d de New-York."
Gallery Label 
Sandy Hill is located on the east bank of the Hudson River between Glens Falls and Fort Edward in Washington County, New York, and is now known as Hudson Falls. In 1817 Milbert journeyed north along the Hudson from New York City to Albany, Ballston Spa, and Saratoga, and late in June or very early in July he continued on to Sandy Hill, about twently miles northeast of Saratoga. Sandy Hill remained his base for the rest of the summer while he explored the upstate New York countryside.
Provenance 
Kennedy Galleries
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group