Museum Closure

The New-York Historical Society will close at 3pm on November 26 and remain closed through November 27. For details, please visit our calendar.

Waste bowl

Waste bowl
Waste bowl
Title
Waste bowl
Date 
1795-1797
Medium 
Silver
Dimensions 
Overall: 7 1/4 x 4 1/2 in. (18.4 x 11.4 cm) Silver Weight: 10 oz (troy) 11.6 dwt (329 g)
Description 
Seamed silver waste bowl; seamed body, round in plan, with a die-rolled decorative band below a plain, applied rim; engraved foliate band, below the die-rolled band; stepped foot with a plain, applied, vertical footring; garlanded reserves on both sides with the Beekman family crest, a shield with a wavy bend between two roses, and a bird's head in upper right, surmounted with two wings addorsed, in one and the bright-cut initials, "M B" in the other; maker's mark stamped on the base.
Credit Line 
Bequest of Catherine Augusta De Peyster
Object Number 
1911.37e
Marks 
engraved: in reserve on one side: "M B" in bright-cut script engraved: in reserve on opposite side: Beekman family crest: shield with wavy bend between two roses, bird's head in upper right, surmounted with two wings addorsed Mark: stamped on base: "W. G. Forbes" in italics, in a rectangle between a sheaf of wheat in a rectangle and a bird's head in an ellipse
Gallery Label 
This waste bowl is part of a four-piece tea set was retailed by William Garret Forbes, a prolific silversmith active from 1773 to 1809. In addition to Forbes's name clearly stamped on the underside of the vessels, three of the four pieces bear additional marks of a wheat sheaf and an eagle's head, which indicate the work of Teunis D. DuBois and Joseph DuBois, respectively. The brothers became partners in June 1795 and produced silver both for their own customers and for retailers. Surviving account books kept by Teunis confirm that he maintained a thriving business on his own after 1797 providing New York City silversmiths, jewelers, and merchants with a steady supply of wares for stock. This tea set belonged to Mary Elizabeth Goad Bedlow and John Beekman, who married in 1792. Each piece is engraved with Mary's initials on one side and the Beekman family arms on the other, representing an alliance of the two families.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group