In early 2017, our fourth floor will be transformed into a new destination for historical education and innovation. During the current renovation, objects from our permanent collection are on view throughout the Museum.
Invitation to Erie Canal Celebration
Support the New-York Historical Society
Help us present groundbreaking exhibitions and develop educational programs about our nation's history for more than 200,000 schoolchildren annually.
William C. Rhinelander (1790-1878) was the son William Rhinelander, original owner of Rhinelander Sugar House, headquarters of the family's business. This warehouse, which was built in 1763, stood at the corner of Rose and Duane Streets until its demolition in 1892. During the Revolution it was used by the British as a prison. The subject's wife, Mary Rogers Rhinelander, was the daugther of John Rogers, a prominent New York City landowner. Mr. and Mrs. Rhinelander were ancestors of the donor.
Gift of Mrs. Robert M. Donaldson
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024