William Pitt, the Elder, First Earl of Chatham (1708-1778)

Is owned by NYHS: 
Yes
William Pitt, the Elder, First Earl of Chatham (1708-1778)
Title
William Pitt, the Elder, First Earl of Chatham (1708-1778)
Date 
ca. 1770
Medium 
Marble
Dimensions 
Overall: 71 x 29 x 29 in. ( 180.3 x 73.7 x 73.7 cm )
Description 
Portrait (full-length)
Credit Line 
Gift of Mr. Simon F. Mackie
Object Number 
1864.5
Marks 
plaque: bronze plaque: "MARBLE STATUE OF WILLIAM PITT (LORD CHATHAM)/ THIS STATUE WAS ERECTED BY THE COLONY OF NEW YORK SEPTEMBER 7, 1770 AT THE INTERSECTION OF WALL AND WILLIAM STREETS IT WAS MUTILATED BY THE BRITISH SOLDIERS SOON AFTER THEIR OCCUPATION OF THE CITY IN 1776. JOSEPH WILSON, SCULPTOR"painted: on back: "S-54" [old N-YHS #]
Gallery Label 
This statue of William Pitt was commissioned by the colonists of New York to commemorate the English statesman who had lobbied Parliament successfully on their behalf for the repeal of the Stamp Act. The statue stood at the intersection of Wall and William Streets. After the British took possession of New York City in the fall of 1776, they decapitated the friend of the colonists and broke off his arms. The statue was removed from Wall Street in 1788.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group