Horn, wood, leather, metal
Overall: 3 1/4 x 3 1/2 x 12 1/8 in. ( 8.3 x 8.9 x 30.8 cm )
incised: throughout: "LAKE ONTARIO / ISTE Rvr / THE MOUTH OF THE RIVER OSWEGO / FORT ONTARIO"
incised: bottom, one side: "WILLIAM STARLING / July 17 1760"
incised: bottom, opposite side: "PLAN OF FORT NIAGARA / A THE FORT WITH ITS OUT WORKS / B THE
Carved horn powder horn owned by William Starling, with wooden cover at one end with circular leather fragments secured with a nail at the center; horn incised with map of Fort Niagara and Fort Ontario, and the Niagara and Owego rivers, with figures and ships; spout end has carved knob, metal spout. See drawing of same by Rufus A. Grider, 1907.36.185
Gift of George A. Zabriskie
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.