JOB TITLE: Exhibition Preparator
REPORTS TO: Production Supervisor and Director of Exhibitions
New-York Historical Society Exhibition Preparators report to the Production Supervisor and Director of Exhibitions, and are responsible for all aspects of in-house exhibit preparation and fabrication including installation, de-installation, maintenance, and lighting. Exhibition Preparators work closely with the Design department, Collections department, Conservation, and other departments within the organization.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Fabricate, paint, and install exhibition display furniture and casework
- Maintain woodshop tools, keep shop organized, and clean shop at end of each day
- Install and maintain exhibition lighting, and maintain lighting storage area
- Maintain and repair exhibitions in all galleries and conduct routine exhibition inspection
- Gallery wall preparation
- Order necessary exhibition materials and supplies
- Mount making for historic objects and artifacts
- Additional responsibilities and duties as required
- Must have at least 5 years museum or gallery experience
- Must be a team player, troubleshooter, and collaborative problem solver
- Ability to interpret shop drawings
- Experience with carpentry, painting, and lighting
- Ability to safely use table saw, chop saw, router, drill press, band-saw, drill gun, and hand tools
- Must be comfortable driving and working on genie lift up to 20’ above floor
- Knowledge of light fixtures and lenses, fiber optic lighting systems, and basic electrical skills
- Art Handling experience: ability to work around, move, install, and handle artwork and artifacts
- Knowledge of conservation standards
- Model making, mount making (silver soldering brass), drawing, and painting skills are preferred
- Experience with Vectorworks is preferred
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee with or without accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Work involves moderate to heavy work. There is frequent need to stand, stoop, walk, and lift heavy objects (up to 50 pounds) and perform other similar actions during the course of the workday.
For consideration please send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please reference the job title in the subject line.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer