JOB TITLE: Grants Assistant
REPORTS TO: Director of Development
The New-York Historical Society is seeking a Grants Assistant to support the grant process for corporate, foundation, and government sources. Reporting to the Director of Development, this position will have a range of research, writing, and administrative responsibilities. This is an opportunity to be involved in all stages of institutional fundraising and requires someone with motivation, good judgment, and a strong work ethic interested in building a career in Development.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Researches and identifies corporate, foundation, and government grant prospects
- Drafts letters of inquiry and proposals that support museum and library activities, including exhibitions, programs, educational activities, and capital projects
- Prepares reports and updates to government agencies as well as corporate and foundation donors
- Creates/ maintains program budgets and expenditures documents
- Monitors grant compliance
- Develops promotional materials to supplement letters and funding proposals
- Executes gift acknowledgements and departmental mailings
- Maintains quality of database information and keeps records current
- Provides day-to-day administrative support
- Serves as an ambassador of the New-York Historical Society at events
The Grants Assistant will have the ability to self-direct multiple priorities of an ambitious work plan, and collaborate with the Director of Development and a dynamic Development team to help achieve fundraising goals.
- Bachelor’s degree required; 1-2 years related experience with writing letters of inquiry, proposals, and reports in a cultural institution preferred
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Research, editing, and keen problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Detail-oriented with a commitment to accuracy
- Highly organized and able to prioritize multiple long-term assignments while managing tasks of immediate need
- A creative thinker with a high level of energy and initiative
- A self-motivated learner with the capability to gather information from a variety of sources
- An enthusiasm for Development work and desire to take on challenges
- Interest in the humanities and the arts
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
For consideration please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line please reference the job title.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.