Job Title: Maintenance Technician
Reports to: Maintenance Supervisor and Director of Engineering Services
Responsible for building and grounds upkeep and provides assistance to staff and visitors. The maintenance technician must be a well-rounded individual able to perform on a variety of equipment units, conduct building maintenance, and assist with basic grounds keeping.
Education: High School Diploma or GED
Experience: A minimum of one year performing building cleaning and maintenance work, and or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Performs work according to New-York Historical’s standard operating procedures in conjunction with building's operational schedule.
- Maintains clean facilities including, hallways, stairways, restrooms, locker rooms, offices, and windows.
- Responsible for vacuuming, mopping, surface cleaning and dusting, and bathroom services.
- Performs general sweeping, scrubbing, and mopping of hardwood floors, laminate, strip, hardwood and tiled floors.
- Uses vacuum cleaners to clean rugs, carpets, upholstered furniture, and blinds.
- Washes walls, ceilings, woodwork, windows, doors, and sills.
- Maintains snow removal of outdoor walk-ways in the winter
- Maintains and upkeeps all cleaning equipment, supplies, and products, including replenishing restroom supplies.
- Uses hand tools and power tools in making minor maintenance repairs and maintaining grounds and walks.
- Conducts minor carpentry, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing repairs, including touch up and painting
- Performs routine electrical repairs such as changing light bulbs, fluorescent lamps, and assists in repairing ballasts and light fixtures.
- Responsible for reading, understanding, and managing set-up memos shared by various departments throughout the museum; responsible for set up and break down of events throughout the building.
- Picks up and delivers supplies and materials to other Departments in the Institution including assisting in shipping and receiving
- Provides assistance to officials, staff, visitors, and other employees as necessary.
- Conducts walk-through inspections at beginning and end of shifts.
- Participates in building back-up coverage that may require working evenings and Saturday rotation as needed.
- Follows all applicable safety rules and procedures.
- Provides daily reports of work accomplished to supervisor.
- Other duties responsibilities and duties as required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee with or without accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Work involves moderate to heavy work in all types of weather. There is frequent need to stand, stoop, walk, and lift heavy objects (up to 50 pounds) and perform other similar actions during the course of the workday.
For consideration, please send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the subject line please reference the job title.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.