Leather, silk, paint
Overall: 21 x 18 x 1/8 in. ( 53.3 x 45.7 x 0.3 cm )
Leather apron with bell-shaped top, painted with the Kings Lodge emblem at the top, with a single eye beneath flanked by symbols of a compass and crossed skeleton keys, the central figures are two men in top hats and coat tails on either side of a crest and standing on an inscribed banner, the crest has a raised hand with red palm at the top, two crossed swords supporting a harp and sheet music, and a charicature of a priate at the bottom, across the bottom of the apron from left to right is a skull and cross bones, a book, a scythe and an hourglass; the apron is edged with emerald green silk ribbon ruffle with bows at the corners, has emerald green silk ribbon ties, and is lined with olive green silk.
Gift of John Laimbeer, Jr.
painted: across banner at bottom: "ES TO FIDEL ES." painted: bottom, on spine of book: "HOLY / MAN (?)"
This apron, from an English Oddfellows lodge, was brought to New York during the 1820s by the donor's great uncle, William Laimbeer (ca. 1791-1861).
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.