This brick was found during the reconstruction of Fraunces Tavern, a Colonial tavern on Pearl and Whitehall Streets in lower Manhattan. Originally built in 1719 as a private home, the building was bought in 1762 by Samuel Fraunces, who named his tavern the Queen Charlotte. The tavern was used as a meeting place by the Sons of Liberty, and was given its owner's name at the outbreak of the Revolution. In 1783, George Washington gave a farewell address to his officers in the tavern's Long Room.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024