Overall: 5 1/8 x 4 5/8 x 1 in. ( 13 x 11.7 x 2.5 cm )
Black-lacquered tin "twin" match holder with two half-cylindrical pockets with round bottoms stamped with scallop motif; shaped backing pierced with hole at center top for wall mounting.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
impressed: at top: "PAT . . . [?] JUNE [?] 18[99?]"
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.