Overall: 2 x 6 x 3 in. ( 5.1 x 15.2 x 7.6 cm )
Rectangular box of sheet copper engraved all sides; top and bottom: 2 hexagonal reserves with female allegorical figures flanking central elaborate rosette; continouse undulating scroll and vine around side; hinged lid.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.