Pine, poplar; pine; leather, brass
Overall: 28 x 26 x 45 1/4 in. ( 71.1 x 66 x 114.9 cm )
N-YHS Museum Collection Leather-covered pine cradle with edges outlined with brass studs, curved hood with double serpentine-cut front board, and arched foot board; three brass handles, one on either side and one at foot; raised on shaped rockers.
Purchase, Abbott-Lenox Fund
According to the accession records, this cradle belonged to Chancellor Robert R. Livingston (1746-1813) and his family. The Society purchased the cradle in 1959 from Israel Sack, Inc., which acquired it from Harry Arons Antiques in Connecticut. The latter purchased it from Miss Anne Hulme Wilson of Clermont, New York, a direct descendant of Chancellor Livingston.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.