Overall: 1/4 x 4 1/2 in. ( 0.6 x 11.4 cm )
Brass astrolabe consisting of a graduated circle with a pivoting sighting bar at its center; suspension ring missing.
Gift of Miss Elizabeth Harison and Mr. William Harison
engraved: on edge of circle: "Gen. Philip Schuyler."
According to the accession records, this object belonged to General Philip Schuyler. Though identified in the accession records as a sundial, it appears instead to be an astrolabe, a device used to measure the altitude of a heavenly body. The astrolabe reached the Latin West from Moslem Spain around A.D. 1000 and was used in Europe as a navigation instrument well into the eighteenth century.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.