Wood, possibly maple or sycamore, with marquetry probably of maple, holly, fruitwoods; mother of pearl
Overall: 42 1/2 x 21 x 20 in. ( 108 x 53.3 x 50.8 cm )
Baroque side chair; back with triple-arched crest rail, curved stiles that conform to the contours of the double cyma-curve splat; trapezoidal seat with rounded front and upholstered slip seat; cabriole legs with blunt slipper feet and chamfered rear legs; chair back and side and front seat rails decorated with veneer of marquetry composed of floral motifs; mother of pearl bird and flower petals incorporated into marquetry; metal brackets strengthening rails and legs; engraved brass plaque at base of splat and shoe.
Gift of Emerson Brooks
engraved: brass plaque on base of splat; "Gift of Emerson Brooks/ 1928" engraved: brass plaque on shoe; "OWNED BY/ JOHN HANCOCK/ SIGNER OF THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE/ PURCHASED AT THE HANCOCK DISPERSAL SALE IN 1795/ BY MRS. ASA (QUINCY) CLAPP, NIECE OF MRS. HANCOCK AND/ GREAT GRANDMOTHER OF EMERSON BROOKS OF MONTCLAIR/ GIFT OF MRS. FRANCIS OLNEY FRY/ 1896."
According to the donor, this chair was owned by John Hancock and was purchased by his ancestor at the Hancock dispersal sale in 1795.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.