Wax, textile, leather, glass, paint
Overall: 18 x 5 x 2 1/2 in. ( 45.7 x 12.7 x 6.4 cm )
Unclothed doll with wax shoulder head, black leather attached to back of head and ornamented with string, black glass pupilless eyes, closed mouth, and faintly tinted pink cheeks; stuffed cloth body with divided arm composed of stuffed cloth upper arm and stuffed kid lower arm, fingers formed by stitching, and complete leg with row of stitching allowing lower leg to bend.
Gift of Mrs. R.C. Hill, 1953
On the label tied around the doll's middle, the following is written in ink, with the addition of "wax" in pencil: "First doll - 1844." On the back of an envelope found in the box originally given with the dolls, the following is written in pencil: "This doll/belonged to/Susie C. Hill/R.C.Hi[ll] sister/who died/when abt 12/The small doll belonged/to R.C. Hills/mother/Harriet C. Hill."
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.