Ceramic, textile, leather, wood, hair, metal, glass, paint
with base: 18 1/2 x 17 1/2 x 9 in.
Fashion doll with bisque swivel head, blond wig elaborately coiffed with braids piled on top of head, pierced ears with one earring, blue glass eyes, closed mouth, and pink tinted cheeks; stuffed kid body with divided arm composed of stuffed kid upper arm connected to bisque lower arm with tenon joint, and molded hand, divided leg with Universal joint at knee, and brown leather boots buttoned up sides; green silk long-sleeved dress with high neckline, basque, and train, with fabric embroidered with flowers and covered with sheer textile and variety of trims including black lace, over petticoat with ruffle, flannel petticoat, and knickers with lace trim; elaborate green velvet bonnet with artificial flowers and black lace, tied with green ribbon, and watch on chain around neck; doll mounted on base, with clothes sewn on.
Gift of Mrs. W. Merritt Post (Katherine E. Van Nest Post)
According to accession records, this doll was used by the donor and entitled "Miss Flora McFlimsy of Madison Square." "Flora McFlimsy" was the name given to various dolls with trunks of clothes (See Publications). The name was taken from the poem "Nothing to Wear" by William Allan Butler, published in Harper's Weekly in 1857. Also according to accession records, the doll made her debut at the NYC Sanitary Fair in 1864.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.