Ceramic, textile, paint
Overall: 17 x 7 x 2 1/2 in. ( 43.2 x 17.8 x 6.4 cm )
Doll with glazed porcelain shoulder head, black molded hair with part, blue painted eyes, closed mouth, and red tinted cheeks; stuffed cloth body with divided arm composed of stuffed cloth upper arm and stuffed lower arm with separate fingers, complete leg with row of stitching allowing lower leg to bend; pink gathered skirt with retailer's tag stapled to inside hem.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
printed label: affixed to inside of skirt: "THE/SHEPARD/STORES/BOSTON-PROVIDENCE" written: in pencil on printed label: "#267/Howe"
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.