Overall: 7 1/4 x 5 x 2 1/2 in. ( 18.4 x 12.7 x 6.4 cm )
Green lead glass figured flask blown in a full-size two-part mold (McKearin GI-14) with hand-tooled cylindrical finish and ovoid body; on obverse, portrait of George Washington with inscription "GENERAL WASHINGTON" in oval frame; on reverse, in oval frame, American eagle grasping cartouche with inscription "T. W. D" with rays and inscription "E PLURIBUS UNUM" above eagle; on sides, inscription "KENSINGTON GLASS WORKS PHILADELPHIA / ADAMS & JEFFERSON JULY 4. A. D. 1776"; oval base with blowpipe mark.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
in relief: on obverse: "GENERAL WASHINGTON" in relief: on reverse: "E PLURIBUS UNUM" and "T. W. D" in relief: on sides: "KENSINGTON GLASS WORKS PHILADELPHIA / ADAMS & JEFFERSON JULY 4. A. D. 1776"
This flask commemorates the deaths of Adams and Jefferson which occurred on July 4, 1826. "T. W. D" stands for Thomas W. Dyott, owner of Kensington Glass Works.
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.