Overall: 9 3/4 x 3 3/4 in. ( 24.8 x 9.5 cm )
Olive green, non-lead, blown glass bottle; bottle possibly blown into a dip mold and has cylindrical neck with an applied up-tooled with flattened sides, string rim, rounded shoulders, and a squat, cylindrical body with a push-up and pontil mark; bottle has iridescence over the entire surface.
Gift of John D. Crimmins
typed: on tag; "RUM BOTTLE/ FOUND IN THE EXCAVATION ON FRONT STREET/ BETWEEN BROAD AND WHITEHALL STREETS./ GIFT OF MR. JOHN D. CRIMMINS, 1893"
According to accession records, this bottle was recovered from the hull of a vessel uncovered during excavations on Front Street between Broad and Whitehall Streets for the proposed power house for the cable road in February, 1893. The hull of the ship was possibly used as part of a wharf or dam for landfill.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.