Overall: 10 1/4 x 4 3/4 x 2 1/4 in. ( 26 x 12.1 x 5.7 cm )
Olive amber lead glass bottle blown in a three-part mold with flat collar and string rim, applied scroll handle, rectangular body with rounded shoulders, projecting square panel on obverse with inscription "FLORA TEMPLE" above horse in profile and inscription "HARNESS TROT 2.19 3/4 OCT. 15, 1859" below.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
in relief: on obverse: "FLORA TEMPLE" and "HARNESS TROT 2.19 3/4 / OCT. 15, 1859"
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.