Overall: 1/2 x 3 9/16 in. ( 1.3 x 9 cm )
Opalescent pressed lead glass cup plate; circular form with scalloped edge; in well, representation of Bunker Hill monument (stippled outline of obelisk, with detailed stones), intersected by plain circle; two lines of inscription around edge of well, enclosed by two concentric rings (stippled); inscription within two concentric rings (stippled) around interior rim, with drape pattern and tassels (Lee-Rose 643).
Gift of Colonel Henry O. Havemeyer
pressed: around edge of well: "BUNKER HILL BATTLE FOUGHT"; "FROM THE FAIR./TO THE BRAVE."; "JUNE. 17. 1775." pressed: around interior rim: "CORNERSTONE LAID BY LAFAYETTE. JUNE 17. 1825: FINISHED BY THE LADIES. 1841"
Jane Spilman suggests that this cup plate was probably manufactured at either the Boston & Sandwich Glass Company, Sandwich, Massachusetts, or the New England Glass Company, Cambridge, Massachusetts (See Publications).