Overall: 10 3/4 x 6 1/2 in. ( 27.3 x 16.5 cm )
Deep blue and colorless blown lead glass apothecary bottle; blue bottle with wide flanged lip, short cylindrical neck, and spherical body joined to colorless pedestal base with folded-under rim with interior pontil mark.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
According to the accession records, these apothecary jars were made in 1836 for a Doctor Scheley in Fredericksburg, MD (probably either Frederick, MD or Fredericksburg, VA). The bottles were special-ordered for the front window of Dr. Sheley's newly redecorated drugstore. Supposedly Dr. Sheley was unhappy with the bottles' small size.
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.