Overall: 8 1/8 x 7 1/4 x 7/8 in. ( 20.6 x 18.4 x 2.2 cm )
Tin-glazed earthenware tile with bluish-white glaze, probably for a large Northern European-style ceramic stove; rectangular form with buff-colored body and blue-and-white painted decoration; oval frame surrounded by foliate decoration contains scene of river with figures in foreground and house on opposite bank.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman, 1937
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.