Overall: 8 1/8 x 8 x 3/4 in. ( 20.6 x 20.3 x 1.9 cm )
Tin-glazed earthenware tile with polychrome decoration; red-colored body with grayish-whiteglaze; image of cauldron on tripod over fire; lower right corner broken off.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman, 1937
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.