Overall: 4 3/4 x 5 x 3/8 in. ( 12.1 x 12.7 x 1 cm )
Tin-glazed earthenware tile with blue and white decoration; buff-colored body with pinkish-white glaze with pin-prick at upper left; image of winged fish on water, with spider-head corner motifs; vertical crack down center.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman, 1937
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.