Overall: 2 7/8 x 3 1/8 x 2 5/8 in. ( 7.3 x 7.9 x 6.7 cm )
Deep blue lead glass cream jug blown in a 3-part mold (McKearin G III-23); squat cylindrical body with shoulders angled to short neck; flared rim pulled out to form spout; applied handle with lower terminal crimped and curled at end; diagonal ribbing around neck within horizontal rings; wide band of diamond diapering; between horizontal rings are 9 large diamonds each containing sunburst with diagonal ribs in between; vertical ribbing around base; rayed bottom (type IV); pontil mark.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.