Overall: 5 x 5 x 1/2 in. ( 12.7 x 12.7 x 1.3 cm )
White tin-glazed earthenware tile with painted blue and white decoration; red earthenware body with blue-gray glaze with pin pricks in upper left and lower right corners; tazza or footed bowl of fruit in center with chinoiserie lattice corner designs (Wan Li design).
Purchased from Elie Nadelman, 1937
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.