Overall: 27 x 18 3/8 x 20 in. ( 68.6 x 46.7 x 50.8 cm )
Chippendale style candlestand with circular top on tripod pedestal base consisting of ring-and-vase-turned column supported on serpentine legs with snake feet.
Bequest of Richard Gosman
According to the accession records, this candlestand belonged to Andrew Brogaw, who resided on Middleburgh Avenue, in Long Island City, during the Revolutionary War period. According to the donor, a dent was made in the top of the table by the scabbard of a British officer when the house was occupied by Hessian troops around 1780. In actuality, the tabletop is a modern replacement, as are the legs of the tripod. The central column, however, appears to be late eighteenth century.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.