Overall: 4 7/8 x 5 1/8 x 1/4 in. ( 12.4 x 13 x 0.6 cm )
Tin-glazed earthenware tile with buff-colored body and blue and white painted decoration; coastal scene with boat near shore in the middle ground and house in the background depicted in circular frame, with decorative detailing at each corner of tile.
Gift of Mrs. Bayard Verplanck
According to the accession records, this tile came from a house on the northwest corner of Jackson and Main Streets, in Fishkill, New York, where Johannes Swart kept a store (and later a tavern) from 1753.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.