Badge of the Society of the Cincinnati
Silk, gold, enamel
Badge (and ribbon): 3 3/4 x 1 1/2 in. (9.5 x 3.8 cm)
Badge consisting of silk ribbon of pale blue with white edges, attached by gold loop to badge in the form of an eagle with outstretched wings and a wreath around his head; obverse has eagle head facing left, and oval plaque at center of eagle with enameled image of Cincinnatus receiving a sword; reverse has eagle head facing right and enameled plaque at center with scene of city and Cincinnatus in foreground; eagle, plaque and portion of wreath decorated with enamels; plaques with Latin inscriptions around perimeter of oval. Separate length of unused silk ribbon (b).
Gift of Miss Francis Jay, Mrs. Alexander Duer Harvey, Mrs. Lloyd Kirkham Garrison, and Mrs. Lawrence W. Fox, in memory of Mrs. Pierre Jay (nee Louisa Shaw Barlow) by her children
written: on reverse of enamel plaque: "SOCIETAS : CINCINNATORUM : INSTITUTA : AD : 1783"
written: on obverse of enamel plaque: "OMNIA : RELINQUIT : SERVARE : REMPUBLICAM"
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.