Overall: 26 x 28 in. ( 66 x 71.1 cm )
Cotton copper-engraved kerchief heralding Napoleon as Emperor; portrait of Napoleon in center (probably after Ingres) between winged muses with a spread eagle and banner above, flanked by portraits of Napoleon during the Egyptian campaign (left) and in exile on the Island of Elba (right); below this are three engraved images of Napolean after famous paintings: "The Pest House at Jaffa", 1804 by Antoine-Jean Gros, "The Coronation of Napoleon and Josephine", 1805-7 by Jacques-Louis David, and possibly, "The Charity of Napoleon", also by Gros; all have text beneath; at the bottom are all the accoutrements of battle and pillage associated with Napoleon, along the sides are columns with banners wrapped around with the names of famous battle sites; printed in black on white ground; frame border.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman, 1937
printed: banner above portrait: "L'EMPEREUR/ NAPOLEON" printed: on columns: "AUSTERLITZ/ FRIEDLAND/ MOSKOWA/ DRESDE/ LIGNY/ WATERLOO/ MARENGO/ ABOUKIR/ PYRAMIDES/ RIVOLI/ ARCOLE/ TOULOUS"
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.